Based in North Yorkshire, we aim to address the difficult problem of suicide amongst our diverse communities.
Why our work matters
Recent UK figures show that:
- 1 in 4 adults will experience at least one diagnosable mental health problem in the coming year.
- Stress and anxiety in the workplace resulted in around £38 billion lost revenue for 2016-17.
- Approximately 2.5 million people (~5%) have thoughts of suicide in a given year.
Training in mental health and suicide prevention represents an effective method to tackle the above health issues amongst the people you care for, both at work and in your personal life.
 Mental Health Foundation – https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/sites/default/files/fundamental-facts-about-mental-health-2016.pdf
 New Economics Foundation – https://neweconomics.org/2018/05/stressed-economy-stressed-society-stressed-nhs
 APMS (NHS Digital) – https://files.digital.nhs.uk/publicationimport/pub21xxx/pub21748/apms-2014-suicide.pdf
We facilitate training that enables participants to be better prepared and equipped to help someone experiencing difficulties with their mental health or even thoughts of suicide. Our trainees better understand how to lessen people's misery and actively save lives.
All these courses provide space and time to consider and reflect. Our more specialised courses are suprisingly comprehensive, and these participants are given regular opportunities to ask questions and address their concerns about the topics involved. This is just one reason why our course evaluations are so impressive!
Some of our courses are delivered either as webinars or face-to-face:
- The ASK Workshop
- Suicide prevention for children aged 5-14.
- MHFA (Mental Health First Aid)
- Promoting better mental health for youths, adults, and military personnel.
- ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training)
- safeTALK (Suicide Alertness For Everyone)
- LivingWorks Start (Online component)
- A suite of courses that comprise a comprehensive and effective community model of suicide prevention to maximise reach.
Safety comes first, and the models of assistance are easy to remember/adaptable to almost all situations. To discuss how we can help you or your team, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The ASK Workshop UK (Lifeline Workshops Inc.)
- MHFA (Mental Health First Aid England)
- LivingWorks (ASIST, safeTALK, & suicideTALK)
Meet our team of trainers...
- Andrew Russell
- Director. Delivers high-quality, evidence-based training in the UK and Internationally.
- Anne-Marie Ianzito
- Independent Training consultant at Tyneside and Northumberland Mind. Bank link worker at Mental Health Concern. Health, wellbeing, and resillience. Lecturing/Social Worker placement practice education.
- Chuka Maxwell
- Health and Wellbeing Coach at South Dartmoor and Totnes PCN NHS. CEO of Action To Prevent Suicide CIC. Experienced in youth work, social inclusion, healthcare, and community development.
- Gus Campbell
- Web designer, developer, and copywriter.
- Izzy Russell
- Director. Licensed ASIST trainer and safeTALK facilitator for LivingWorks, UK and Canada; Facilitator of The ASK Workshop.
- Jenny Pickup
- Trainer, Coach and Consultant specialising in suicide prevention and mental health. Co-founder of Grassroots Suicide Prevention.
- Lol Butterfield
- Retired Mental Health Clinician. Writer and media consultant in mental health and anti stigma.
- Dr Marie Murphy
- Counselling Psychologist with a specialism in self-harm. Team Leader of Counselling in Schools (North Ayrshire Council). Quality Assurance for ASIST and safeTALK in the NHS in Scotland. Ex-journalist and occasional blogger.
- Nick Brown
- Trainer & International LivingWorks Coach in suicide prevention and mental health. Human Resources experience – Chartered Institute of Personnel Development qualified)
How does it work?
All our training programmes are developed by international experts in their respective fields. Additionally, the courses complement each other in ways that will benefit your overall aim.
The courses offered are in continuous development and provide models that strategically attempt to mitigate mental health problems and suicide issues in our communities and workplaces. Millions have already taken these courses worldwide, and the programmes continue to be successful across nations.
Our work actually saves lives. We seek to alleviate despair. We believe these courses represent the best in their fields. Ccontent has been meticulously developed using a diverse range of skills and techniques. Outcomes and feedback are carefully evaluated, and research shows a consistent overall benefit to both care-givers and those people in need.
Andrew Russell & Izzy Russell (PSW founders) share over 40 years of Health & Social Care experience. They are experienced trainers registered with LivingWorks and other organisations, including MHFA. Andrew is also a long-standing member of the British Association of Social Workers.
Registered in England & Wales as a Limited Company No.12916459.
©2021 Preventing Suicide Workshops Ltd.